Saturday, August 2, 2014

Make new friends, but keep the old

Coming back this year means not only readjusting to life in Thailand and being back at work, but also life without some key individuals. Those friendships, though certainly not over, do move to a new phase and I do have to keep moving here with building on other friendships and making new ones. Without any family around, friends play a much bigger role and many of them even become like family. All the coming and going is part of life abroad, but it's not a part that I have to like. 

And so I walk into this new school year with open arms, ready to push and stretch and try new things. This morning I ran to the park/market with a group of women from our community who run there on Saturday mornings. It's a group I've been aware of since I arrived, but the first time I've stepped out and joined them. I knew all of the ladies there today, but they are not people I see often or really know well and it was a stretch for me to be willing to run with other people (I don't go real fast). So I am proud of that. And I'm excited for things I have in the next few weeks that will help me step out a bit more and make connections with people. But I am also a bit heavy hearted and you know, that's okay. It's okay to miss my friends and colleagues, to step back from time to time and say yeah, this sucks. For the most part, this week has been too busy to dwell in it too much, but it has still been strange and hard to not have them around. I am very thankful for those who are still here, especially my closest friends who are missing the same people I am. In such a transient community, I am grateful for every bit of continuity I can hold onto. 

I also walk into this school year with an ever growing list of people to keep up with long distance. While free texting apps certainly make that easier, there's still a limit to how much time you have for friends and family who are far away. So we juggle it as best we can and treasure the times we do get to talk or Skype or visit. I am so blessed to have friends spread across the globe and thankful for the efforts they make to maintain our friendship over the miles and years. 

No comments:

Post a Comment