Sunday, July 15, 2012

Whew, I still speak Spanish!

I have to admit, I was a little concerned about the linguistics before I came to Buenos Aires this week.  In the past two years, I've been able to read and write Spanish a little bit, but my opportunities for speaking and listening have been few and far between- and most have been with people speaking with different accents than I am used to, making things more difficult.  So I was worried that I had lost most of my Spanish. To my great surprise, I've lost a little bit of my speaking fluency, but otherwise seem to be right where I left off two years ago- meaning there are times I feel very comfortable with the Spanish and other times where I can't seem to get it to come out properly. 

I have really been enjoying the Spanish though, and singing in church last Sunday was definitely one of the highlights.  There's also been a little bit of Thai floating around my head, but mostly just a few small phrases that keep wanting to come out. I'm sure these weeks of Spanish will set my Thai back a little bit, but I'm guessing not too much as I'm at least exercising the foreign language muscle pretty heavily!

No comments:

Post a Comment