Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Olympics Are Coming!!

I love the Olympic Games. I love the sports, I love the international community, I love the victorious winners and the kids from some distant land who only swim in preliminary heats and finish last. I even love the touching stories on NBC. In less than three weeks, the winter games will kick off in Sochi 
Russia and I will kick off my two week marathon of couch viewing. While there aren't a ton of sports I follow year round (skating  and baseball) I will watch just about anything in the Olympics: curling, fencing, rowing, luge, even biathalon (okay, maybe not too much biathalon). The winter games are, of course, better than the summer games, for the simple reason that they contain the Queen of Olympics sports: my beloved figure skating. This year, with the addition of the figure skating team event, there will be even more skating to watch!

I'll get to watch some of the afternoon events live, since Sochi is only 3 hours behind Bangkok, but probably not much of the later evening prime time stuff. I never seem to land in the right continent at the right time to catch winter Olympic action in a decent time zone. When the 1998 games were in Asia, I was in Michigan. The next games were in Salt Lake City, but I was in Europe. Four years later the games were in Italy and I was in the US. By 2010 the games were in North America (west coast) and I was in South America (an hour ahead of NY). Now, the games are back in Europe, and I'm in Asia. Sigh. But at least they are in the eastern side of Europe, as a 3 hour difference is definitely better than any of the others. 

No comments:

Post a Comment