Sunday, April 20, 2014

An expat staycation

One of the great advantages of being an expat is the travel. Singapore for the weekend. Tropical beach just because. China for spring break. Michigan in the summer. But that can have a downside too, namely that whenever you have time off, you are on the road so you never get to just "be" at home. This past week I spent my spring break at home. And it was glorious. Lazy mornings in my own bed. Dinners with friends. A baseball game or two. A haircut. A pedicure. A massage. Afternoons spent with friends who will be leaving in June. A book no longer waiting to be read.  A seafood lunch with a non-teacher friend I just don't see often enough. And at the end of the week my body is rested, my house is clean, and my laundry is done. I do love to travel, and can't wait for my adventures in June and July, but it does feel pretty nice to have just lived life at home for the past week and not need to unpack and resettle and recover from vacation. 

No comments:

Post a Comment