Tuesday, April 8, 2014

To nuke, or not to nuke

I don't own a microwave. I've never actually owned one, though most places I have lived have had one. Some people think I'm a little bit nuts for not having one, my own mother for example, but I kind of like it. I spent about half my years in Argentina living with a friend who had a no microwave policy and from watching her, I learned how to make and reheat anything you wanted without one. So when I moved here and had to outfit an entire kitchen from scratch I knew that a microwave was a want, not a need. 

I don't have anything against the microwave and honestly, most of the time I forget that I don't have one. I've grown accustomed to stove top popcorn and reheating food in the toaster oven or on the stove. I do sometimes think that maybe blasting our food with radiation is not the best plan in the world and can get a little puffed up about the whole thing, about not relying on such a modern contraption, but I wouldn't say I'm anti microwave. I certainly eat plenty nuked food at other people's houses. 

But now I'm thinking of buying one. Friends who are moving to the States are selling their Magic Machine, an oven/microwave combo that just might revolutionize my life. Or at least my corn muffins. It can literally bake or nuke, depending on the setting. If I recall, it might even grill too. I've seen entire Thanksgiving dinners created in one of these things. Pie, turkey, you name it. Problem is, it doesn't toast, which means it can't replace the toaster oven and thus I end up with another gadget in my rather small and crowded kitchen. The only place for it, in fact, is on top of the fridge. A bit unsightly. And then there's my pride, joining the throngs across the globe with the ability to reheat a cup of tea in 30 seconds. To nuke or not to nuke, that my friends, is the question.  

No comments:

Post a Comment