Saturday, December 12, 2015

On figure skating, even if it's not Olympics

I don't usually blog about figure skating unless it is about the Olympics, but I've been enjoying this season so much (thanks in large part to my friend Ann who shares her subscription with me) that I thought a blog post might enoucrage a few casual fans to tune in to the big events in 2016. I have to confess, I was skeptical of the decision to allow lyrics and no one used them in such a way last year that changed my mind. It seems though, that in the second year of lyrics skaters and coaches are bolder in their use and this year I am really enjoying them, especially in my two favorite programs. 

Two must watch programs: 
1. Short dance of Madison Hubbell and Zach Donohue. These two have been climbing the ranks this year and I'm sure this program has a lot to do with that. Always emotional skaters, this mesmerizing program highlights all their strengths and draws you in like never before. 
2. Short program of Alexa Scimeca and Chris Knierim. Wow, this program presents a side of them that we've never seen before and actually makes me want to watch pairs skating again! The music, costumes, and choreography are a perfect fit, and like Hubbell and Donohue, I think it is part of their success this season. 

Two skaters/teams to watch:
1. Megan Duhamel and Eric Radford. They just get better and better every year, and Grand Prix Final aside, they are the ones to beat every time they step on the ice. They have rejuvenated the pairs event and are just plain wow. 
2. Satoko Miyahara. She's tiny, but she's incredible. The only woman with a real shot of topping the Russians at worlds. There are a few (like Mao Asada) who have a shot if they skate perfectly, but they've all been inconsistent this season. Miyahara is a consistent joy to watch. 

One performance to watch:
1. Yuzuru Hanyu's short program at the Grand Prix Final. If figure skating still gave out perfect scores, he would have earned one. He had to settle for a new record score. A quad, quad-triple, and triple axel, all made to look as easy as singles. He floated over the ice. Is he human? 

No comments:

Post a Comment