Friday, January 1, 2016

Happy New Year 2016!

One of my favorite daily reads is Oswald Chambers' "My Utmost for His Highest". I've been reading the same wrinkled, mashed up, worn out copy for nearly 10 years. Or maybe more than 20 years. I mark and underline as things jump out to me, and will often jot down a date or situation that it applies to. The earlies dates I have recorded are March 2006, but it's possible it took me awhile to start dating things. Anyway. There are a few classic quotes that I try to catch every year and one of them is from December 31. Chambers writes, As we go forth into the coming year, let it not be in the haste of impetuous, remembering delight, nor with the flight of impulsiveness, but with the patient power of knowing that the God of Israel will go before us. 

I needed that reminder today, as I need it so many days. My future perhaps looks more unknown on the outside than most, but the truth is none of us knows what tomorrow brings. I am certain of very little in life, but I am certain of God. I am certain that he goes before me. And that brings all the peace I need to step into tomorrow, even when tomorrow is a new year. I know that the Almighty God goes with me, behind and before. So no, I don't know a great many things, but I know enough. This year, may I not be hasty or impulsive (oh so hard for me!) but rather may I be patient and trusting, in my head and my heart right down to the marrow of my bones. 

Happy New Year, dear blog readers, from cold and snowy Bellaire Michigan. May you too know that the God of Israel goes before you and prepares a place for you. 
Lots of love,
Clare 

1 comment:

  1. Great post - I needed this today! I love love love that book as well and have given many copies as gifts over the years. I wish I had a copy with me in Japan! It's amazing how his wisdom is timeless and yet different passages speak to me in different years. This year I'm trying Jesus Calling and am pretty excited about it!

    ReplyDelete