Friday, December 3, 2010

Science Teacher!

Yesterday I started my temp job as a 7th grade science teacher. I'll be subbing for this teacher at least until Christmas break, and most likely a week or two afterward as well. Luckily, she is extremely organized and the other 7th grade science teacher is very friendly and helpful, so it's not to overwhelming. I do find it a bit ironic though, because science is really not my specialty. Today we did a lab, which had its rough moments but went well. Only 4 test tubes were broken and one substance spilled all over- luckily it was just salt:) The first two days have been fun, but have also brought out the stark contrasts between the large public school and the small international Christian school.

  • The distance between teachers and students seems weird to me here. I am so accustomed to interacting with the students on a deeper level, not only because of class size (though that definitely plays a part) but also because of the nature of the school and teacher-student relationships.
  • My instinct to pray with the kids or talk about prayer with them is still there, and I find it pops into me head fairly often. The teacher I am subbing for is out for hip surgery, and I keep wanting to pray for her in class or with other teachers or something like that. A few weeks ago a second grader told me in class that his grandpa was in the hospital. I couldn't think how to respond other than saying we could pray for him!
  • Then there's the difference between teaching 5 classes once each verses one class 5 times a day (which is what I do now). Mostly, it's just a difference in the size of the school. As a sub, the set up is nice because I only have to get my brain around one lesson per day, but I will admit, I'm pretty sick of it by the end of the day, or by the time I've read the same answers 120+ times.
I'm very thankful to have this job and bit of consistency in my life. The staff and teachers at the school are wonderful and have made me feel very welcome- something you don't always find in the public schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment