Saturday, December 18, 2010

TCK's

TCK stands for Third Culture Kid, people who spend a significant number of their developmental years living outside their parents' passport country. There are a few of them in my classes right now and today I had the opportunity to talk to one of them. He told me about his time in China and his school there and how hard it was to come back "home". As he talked, my heart went out to this student. Two years later, he still very clearly misses China and doesn't feel at home here. He blossomed and lit up as we talked. I loved it just as much as he did, connected with someone who knew my experiences and understood what I was talking about.

I was also reading Matthew this morning and thinking about how Jesus himself was a TCK. Joseph took him and Mary to Egypt where they had to adapt to a new culture, language, and life. And they too returned, to Galilee, and had to resettle at home. A great reflection for this advent season, that we await the coming of the King, a Lord who understands our struggles, even those as global citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment