Friday, June 29, 2012

A break from the everyday

I haven't been blogging much lately- I've been too busy taking a break from regular life.  It's a hidden benefit of teaching overseas: you get to periodically leave behind your entire day-to-day life and routine for more than the length of a normal trip or vacation.  It helps that I get to go back to a fresh school year with a fresh start.  I get all kinds of crazy notions over the summer of things I am going to do or change for the coming school year, and sometimes I even follow through on one or two.  Most teachers get that break to come back refreshed and full of new energy and ideas, but few of us get to regularly do that with life, not just our jobs. 

So I have enjoyed my weeks of not-so-normal activities for me.  Going to baseball games.  Grilling meat and veggies.  Pushing my friends' kids on the swings.  Watching way too much American television.  Driving.  Dinners with my Grandpas.  Playing Life and getting beat by a 7 year old. 

It's been nice to leave behind the alarm clocks and humidity and responsibilities for a few weeks.  It's a good time to step back, look at what was accomplished, and take a deep breath before stepping back into the fray. 

I'll wrap up my US tour with a long weekend in New York and then a few days in Detroit and Chicago.  One more month till the alarm clocks and humidity and responsibilities come back full force! 

No comments:

Post a Comment