Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Thai Class

So many things to blog about!  But foremost on my brain right now is Thai class, since it's eating up most of my free time (M-F from 4-6pm!).  The good news is I really enjoy it so far (after 2 days at least) and I feel like I am learning a lot.  As I am sure you've noticed, I've been a bit frustrated with my Thai the past few months, so this is me doing something about it.  And though it's fun, it's also tiring- it's not yet 8pm and I'm ready to crawl into bed. Mostly, it's about priorities.  The dishes are piled high in my sink.  I just finished unpacking after arriving home 3 nights ago.  Cooking (and grocery shopping) have gone out the window.  I'm using the guest duvet since it had a cover on it when I got home- my helper can put the cover on mine tomorrow and then I can switch back.  I haven't even started blogging about my vacation.  But that's okay.  For the these 4 weeks, language learning is the priority.  And it's challenge enough on its own, without worrying about all those little things. 

Language learning is a humbling experience.  It's humbling to feel so dumb when you don't understand.  It's humbling to feel slow when others understand faster than you do (especially as this is something I never really experienced in school).  It's humbling when you try out a few words on your Thai friends and the corrections are numerous.  It's humbling when you know you've learned a word before, but you just can't remember it. Or you butcher the tone.

But language learning is also a fun way to combine two of my favorite loves: words and mathematics.  The words part is obvious. The math part comes in when I begin to see the patterns emerge in the new vocab and grammar, when word order become a puzzle I can rearrange and put together, when a rule or formula makes sense.

One thing I am learning in this class is how to concentrate like I've never had to concentrate before.  In school, I could day dream (or read a book or work on homework) easily and still understand what was going on.  But when I'm being taught Thai in Thai for 120 solid minutes, by the time I think oh, I'm getting a little hungry, I am lost and it takes a minute to catch back up again.  Or the minute my mind wanders to the only decoration in the small classroom- a map of Thailand- she's lost me again (this is why I believe less is more in classrooms).

I hope I emerge from these 4 weeks a more competent and confident Thai speaker.  I hope I emerge alive as well.  But getting 40 hours of Thai lessons in a 4 week period can't be anything but a good thing.  Right? 

No comments:

Post a Comment