Monday, November 5, 2012

7-11

One of the funniest things about living in Bangkok is the constant presence of 7-11 stores.  They are almost literally on every block.  There's one right in front of my apartment complex in fact. It's where I buy phone cards for my cell phone (I use it so little it's cheaper to do it that way than to get a monthly plan) and pay my electric bill. I can get water and snacks to go, and to be honest, I do a bit of grocery shopping there when things are busy. It's such a strange little phenomena, especially when you consider that 7-11 in the US is the kind of place with large "no loitering" signs outside. But here, it's a staple, and a sign of progress. So you can imagine my surprise on Friday night when my friend and I tried to stop in there, but it was closed.  7-11, closed??  From what we could tell, they were remodeling or something.  It was closed again on Saturday, and again today, on Monday (I don't know about yesterday, I am not feeling well and I didn't leave the apartment yesterday).  There's a sign on the door, and I'm sure that explains it, but it's in Thai so I can't read it.  It doesn't really look like some great remodel is taking place, but I can't imagine that it says closed for good.  A street in Bangkok without a 7-11 is no street at all.  At best it's a dark alley, unlit by the glow of the neon sign at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment