Monday, December 3, 2012

Thai Massage

It occurred to me today that I have neglected to blog about a very important aspect of Thai culture:  the Thai massage.  Massage is huge here. I mean, HUGE.  Practically every block in Bangkok has a massage place. You can get a "regular" oil massage or a foot massage, but tonight I went for the traditional Thai massage.  Unless you're going somewhere really fancy, if you're paying more than $10 for an hour massage, you're paying too much.  Every time I go I ask myself why I don't do this every week.  Perhaps for a New Year's resolution...

I like a good Thai massage in some ways it's part massage and part really good stretch.  You wear little jammies that are like scrubs, which is nice on so many levels.  Not only are you just more comfortable, it also makes it something you can do with friends.  You lay on a small mattress on the floor while the masseuse massages, stretches, pulls, presses, sits and generally contorts you in a variety of wonderful ways. 

Today I was feeling particularly tight all over, waaaay too tight and stressed in the shoulders for it to only be Monday, so I felt a massage was in order.  Now wanting to make things any more stressful and complicated than they already were, I opted to just go to the massage place here at my apartment complex.  Better places exist, but it's a good little spot and quite convenient, and today I got the World's Hardest Massage, which was just what the doctor ordered. 

And now to sit back with my tea and Christmas carols by the light of my tree and advent wreath...

No comments:

Post a Comment