Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Ahka Hill House

After two days in the northern city of Chiang Rai, my friends and I went up into the mountains to stay for two nights at the Ahka Hill House. Ahka is one of the tribal groups who live in the mountains of northern Thailand, Burma, Laos, and China. One of the villages runs this small rustic guesthouse. We went planning to hike, rest, talk, and be in the green. Sadly, it rained most of the time we were there, but we made the most of it. When we started out on our hike it wasn't raining, but it definitely rained for most of the hike and since it had been raining for days, nothing in the place felt completely dry. The food they had was fantastic, some of the best food I've had in Thailand, and if got to drink several mugs of their 'jungle tea', the oolong tea that they grow on hue he mountainside. It was a pretty cool experience all around, and a good time with friends. 

Rainy view from the restaurant area

Tea plantation on the hillside

View from our bungalow 


Rainy waterfall hike

Biggest bamboo I've ever seen! 


This area might possibly be the most remote location I have ever traveled to. When I have been in other  somewhat remote spots, they have all been pretty well visited by tourists. This place was much quieter and remote than the places I went in Patagonia, for example. It was nice to be out in the middle of no where with so much green- I've literally never seen something so green and lush. Not only was it beautiful, it also gave me a better appreciation for the people and cultures that live in this area. 

Today we are back in Chiang Rai, and will be flying back to Bangkok tomorrow for our last days of break. 







No comments:

Post a Comment