Monday, October 7, 2013

Picture a day October 7

Today's picture addresses something that has long baffled me in Thailand: yogurt spoons. This is a picture of a Tupperware with a four pack of yogurts, and four plastic spoons. From time to time I find the four packs come in a little container and if I'm low on containers I buy the yogurts that come with a free one (the whole disappearance of Tupperware thing seems to be a global problem). But I was surprised to open the container and find these little plastic spoons. But I shouldn't be surprised, not anymore. You see, every time you buy yogurt at the store, they give you a spoon for each yogurt. Now, when I'm buying yogurt at 7- Eleven, that almost makes sense, as in, it's a convenience store so I might be about to eat my yogurt right then and there. But the fact that they give me a spoon per carton of yogurt even when I am stocking up at the grocery store has always confused me. So today I thought about it a bit. And I think it all comes down to the fact that Thais eat with a spoon and fork generally, and the spoons are a good soup spoon size, not teaspoon. Teaspoons are not common. I have them, because I like them for my tea, but I do confess that I usually use them for yogurt too. Maybe if all I had were the giant ones than the little plastic ones might be useful for the little yogurt cartons. Or at least, that's my new theory...

No comments:

Post a Comment