Wednesday, February 12, 2014

My Olympic Predictions

My thoughts and predictions for who I want to win, and who I think will win :) 

Pairs: so the short program is in the books, which makes predicting a touch easier, but I think the Russians will hold on for gold, and I also believe they deserve it. I would love to see one of the Canadian teams make the podium, and the Germans collapse. I don't like their attitudes. 

Men: I want Patrick Chan to win- he is simply the best pure skater in the field. I want Plushenko to get the PCS scores he deserves, which is to say, much lower than what he got in the team event. I predict Chan will take the gold. Jason Brown will skate well and be loved by all, as always. Top ten finish. I don't have high hopes for Jeremy Abbott. 

Ladies: I think the gold comes down to Julia Lipniskia and Yuna Kim. If they skate well, no one can beat them. That said, I hope Yuna gets it. She is a much better skater than Julia. I'd love to see Carolina Kostner and/or Mao Asada on the podium.  And of course, I do love Gracie Gold. If she skates well, she's in the mix, but others will have to make mistakes for her to medal. And Ashley Wagner and her 'tude can just go home now. She has a shaky triple-triple at best when all the top girls have at least one solid triple-triple. Wagner is just not all that. At the press conference for the team event she referred to her team bronze as a "warm-up". Well honey, it's the only medal you're getting. Gracie quickly chimed in that she did not feel that way and that the team event meant something to her. Go Gracie. Also, I predict Polina Edmunds will skate clean, get fair PCS scores and do decently well, but she's not in the conversation with the big girls yet. I'd love to see her place ahead of Wagner, actually...

Dance: This is Meryl and Charlie's event to lose. And I hope they skate the way they have been every single time for the last two years. Every single day I read another interview with them and they grow classier with each one. The only thing out there as good as their skating is their sportsmanship. No one classier since the Kween herself.  I hope Tessa and Scott skate their best to make it even close, but I hope/think they are in for silver. Bronze will likely go to the Russians, but I like the French team better. I put Chock/Bates in 7th or 8th and the Shib Sibs in 10th. I'd be pretty happy with three American teams in the top 10! 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, I hope Yuna gets it too. Watching Lipniskia, it felt too dizzying for me. I felt like she was obviously gifted and technically good but didn't yet possess the poise or maturity to move my soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree- Yuna's skating moves the soul in way Julia's does not. Carolina Kostner has that ability as well, but she has struggled technically lately.

    ReplyDelete