Friday, September 9, 2011

Community

Over the past 6 months, as people heard that I was moving to Thailand to teach at an international Christian school, they have over and over again expressed their astonishment that I could do that and told me of how brave I must be.  Rubbish, I tell them.  I think it's easier to move here than to a new place in the US.  Why?  Community.

I've lived in Thailand for less than 2 months, and already I have friendships that go well beyond surface things.  If I ever need anything, I have several people that I could call.  Take this past week.

On Sunday, I started feeling a little under the weather.  A friend met me half way between her apartment and mine to give me some Emergen-C (vitamins) and fresh from the oven pumpkin bread.  By Wednesday I was feeling much worse and went home Thursday after school knowing I would not make it in on Friday.  So Thursday evening, a friend dropped off hot soup, bread, and juice.  Two other friends stopped by with their entire DVD collections, so I could have some amusement while I rested at home today.  Early this morning, shortly after I woke up, a knock at my door produced a steaming cup of chai tea.  A few moments ago, yet another friend brought by a bowl of homemade pasta salad, the non-white and creamy kind that I like.  Tell me, where in the US would that happen 7 weeks after you move somewhere?

This is not meant as a slight to the US.  It would likely be the same for anyone moving within their own nation.  The difference here is the international community, and more specifically, the international Christian/mission community.  While there are struggles with moving to a new country and culture, there are also great advantages that God has blessed me with.  It is such a privilege to serve Him here.  I love that I can talk to my students about Jesus, that I can pray with my coworkers, that I now have friends across the globe who encourage me in my faith and bring unique cultural perspectives to our conversations about God.

24 hours of watching movies in my pajamas and sleeping is starting to do the trick and I am beginning to feel that I am on the mend.  Hopefully tomorrow I will feel well enough to venture out to the Thai Craft Fair and keep at least one social commitment this week.  But I know that even if it takes another couple of days, I won't be alone in a faraway land.  Too much community around here for that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment