Friday, September 23, 2011

A trip to the hospital

If there's one thing I have learned from living abroad it's that seeing the doctor is a very cultural thing and every country has it's own system.  The whole national health care thing was a bit strange in Scotland and it definitely took me some time in Buenos Aires to figure out how to navigate the system there.  One thing that was very different there was that people "went to the hospital" for all kinds of things.  Things that we in the US would see a GP for.  Eventually I figured out that the hospitals had a more broad version of urgent care, and that dropping by there was really the best way to be seen if you were sick.  Doctors visits were reserved for managing ongoing problems or for when you needed a medical certificate for something. 

So I wasn't completely surprised here in Thailand when people got sick and "went to the hospital".  I had been to the local hospital once during orientation for a quick medical check-up that was required for my work permit.  The hospital was really quite nice.  I went to the big international hospital downtown two weeks ago for an international fair they were hosting, and that place was 5 star.  Not only was the facility gorgeous, they had a beautiful and extensive food court, if you could even call it that, where we ate lunch.  Even with these pop-in visits, I still wasn't quite sure how this whole thing worked.  If you were sick, but not in any severe way, what department do you go to?  Will everyone speak English?  How do you fill prescriptions?  How much does it all cost? 

This week, I had my chance to learn a bit of that.  I got sick again this week, and since it was the second time in a matter of two weeks and this one came on more suddenly and severely, I decided I needed to see a doctor. I sent an email to a few close friends who are either Thai or have been here long enough to know how the system works to see if anyone could go with my after school to show me where to go, how it works, etc.  One of my Thai friends said it would be better if I went during the day because it would be faster, so within a matter of minutes she and I were on our way to the local hospital during our free period. 

I was so glad to have her there.  Not only was she able to translate (the doc spoke English but I don't know about all the check-in people and nurses along the way) but she also knew exactly where to go and what to do so I was able to just relax.  And it's not like in the States where you just sign your name on a clipboard where they know you and wait until they call you back.  There's a registration place where you check in, then you go to another area and wait until they call you up for weight and blood pressure and then you wait in an area that has a dozen or so little doctor's offices.  Once they call you (and I always knew it was going to be me when they looked at the name, looked real uncomfortable at how to say it, and then gave it their best shot), you go to one of these little rooms where there is a doctor and a nurse.  After he saw me we went and waited in another area where you pay, which is right next to the pharmacy where they give you all the things the doctor prescribed.  And whoa did he prescribe!  I was sent away with an antibiotic as well as OTC's for headache, cough, sinus congestion, and allergies.  My medicine cabinet is now well stocked.  Total cost for doc and nurse: $15. Total prescription cost: $30. 

So, I'm home, once again- three days rest ordered by the doctor. I am tired, but improving, and plan to basically stay home all weekend.  I'm going to eat dinner with a friend tomorrow and watch a movie, but that's about it.  Being sick is not fun, but I am very grateful for my friend's help in getting to the doctor and in the excellent medical care that is available to me in Bangkok.  I had heard good things about it before coming, and so far it has lived up to the expectation. Hopefully soon I'll be up and exploring again and blogging about something other than the Thai health system...

No comments:

Post a Comment