Sunday, October 16, 2011

No flood waters yet, but plenty of rain water.

Luckily, the much dreaded flood waters from the north are not pouring into Bangkok.  It does, however, continue to rain so many of the Sois (side streets) are flooding, including the one I live on.  The water level has been going up and down the past few days, but was definitely higher last night when we came home in a taxi and were driving through a river.  The driver was kind enough to take me all the way to the front gate so I gave him a big tip.

I knew though, that if the level didn't go down I'd have to walk through ankle deep water (at best) to get to a taxi to go to church this morning.  I'd searched for some wellies on Friday night, but had been unable to find any.  This morning though, I ran into my downstairs neighbor in the hallway as we were surveying the flooded street from above and lo and behold, she had an extra pair that she could just give me!  So, armed with my new boots, I loaded my backpack with sandals, umbrella, and Bible and headed out for church.  Which, by the way, was SO SO good.  God amazes me.  Every Sunday I have been going to a different church as I get a feel for the options I have here, and every Sunday the sermon and/or service feels directly aimed at my heart.

I even brought my camera with me today, a miracle in and of itself, but was only able to get 4 pictures taken before the batteries fell out and one fell into the black hole that is the floor of my friend's car.  We searched and searched to no avail.  But, here are the shots I was able to get.  

Looking down onto the street in front of the school Sunday morning.

Heading out to church in my new flood gear.

Climbing over the sandbags to get out the gate. 

Our street.  I cut through a parking lot to avoid walking down it.
They have already canceled school tomorrow.  I have another good (non flood related) blog post in me I'll get written soon.  I've just been too much of a social butterfly lately to sit down for very long to blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment