Saturday, October 29, 2011

So we wait

Well, if this isn't just the most annoying situation ever.  We are still just waiting. The water is, in fact, entering more and more areas of the city.  But, there is still much more panic in the city than actual water.  Bummer for me is that I have friends here, until tonight, and the places we wanted to go are closed- Grand Palace (water coming in, it's by the river), huge weekend market (threatened by water and they're evacuating it), Thai Craft Fair (dunno, closed for panic?  roads to the north, where the goods come from, closed?).  At any rate, we have found sufficient, though not as exciting, things to do here in Bang Na where things are dry and functioning.  I feel so bad that they weren't able to see all the things they wanted to- they're not complaining or anything, but I would just have liked to be able to show them Bangkok at its best, and visit some of these places myself. 

I'm telling you though, the anxiety is really getting to me.  I am a planner.  And by planner, I mean a planner (Myers-Briggs folks, my 'J' is like a 28 out of 30).  And in Bangkok right now every single bloody thing is tentative, other than the fact that we don't have school until November 7th.  Or maybe later.  Maybe.  It's really a pretty tense place to be right now, so I am working on plans to escape for a few days  (Wed-Sun) next week.  But there are a lot of 'maybes' to that plan- contingent on quick visa applications and non-flooded embassies and airplanes with seats on them... so we'll see.  My back-up plan?  Call my Thai teacher, who maybe hasn't fled the city with the masses, and do some intensive Thai.  And hopefully not get stuck in my building if this area floods.  I've got food and water so I would for sure be okay, but they might need to put me in a mental hospital after.  

There aren't even any volunteer opportunities in the city right now, at least not with official projects.  There is basically nothing to do but wait.  I'm not very good at waiting.  I knew that before.  But now I know it.  So yeah, good news is that I am fine, that my area is fine, that the main airport is still dry and operational (good for Juan and Claudia who have flights out in the morning), that things are more or less business as usual in our neighborhood.  Continue to pray for the nation, for the government, for those who are affected (several of my friends are trapped at home because of water outside their houses), that the water (or the whales:) would somehow drain into the sea faster than is predicted, that Christ would be made know in the crisis, that I would trust in God and in his promises even in the midst of such uncertainty and anxiety. 

No comments:

Post a Comment