Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Long Lost Love

This past week has been very unusual because I have been... cooking!  There's a bit of a story behind it, which I can share later, but it's been surprisingly enjoyable to cook again.  I rarely cook in Bangkok for several reasons.  It's so very cheap and yummy and convenient to pick up food at the places around my apartment or even go out to eat, which makes cooking much less necessary.  It's also rather inconvenient to grocery shop when you don't have a car (like in the US) and don't walk past the grocery store on your way home from work (like in Argentina).  In addition, some of the stores aren't that great- either they don't carry many of the items I would want or their produce isn't good or whatever.  Couple that with the minimarts on my street that can supply the basics and I've gotten rather out of practice.  And don't even get me started on cooking with one burner, a toaster oven, and an electric grill to work with (just don't use more than one of the three at once). 

As I was enjoying all that delicious home cooking this past week I was thinking about how I can get this to continue. What was is it, exactly, that would inspire me to cook?  And I think the answer is grocery shopping.  I went yesterday, to a good albeit expensive store, and got inspired all over again and I realized that nothing inspires like having great ingredients to work with.  Now, I don't expect this cooking everyday thing to last, but I do hope I can keep at least a little bit of it going and mix it up more in the future since it really can be quite fun and delicious and healthy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment