Thursday, January 31, 2013

Rejoicing and Mourning

It's been raining a bit lately. It's not supposed to, but it has.  Tonight it means that the glorious orange sky outside my window is decorated with wasps of gray cloud lined in purple and yellow and red.  The wet morning was a small price to pay. 

Last night I received news from a friend about an event that we have been praying for for 3 years.  From a continent away I was able to rejoice with her and celebrate this new development in her life, wanting to reach through the computer to hug her. It wasn't a likely scenario, and it would have been easy to give up hope.  But she didn't. 

A short while ago I also received devastating news from another friend. The kind of news that punches you in the gut and leaves you heartbroken and speechless.  From half way around the world, I want to fix it. But I cannot. 

Somehow, in each one- the sunset, the miracle, the tragedy- God is there.  Watching with us, smiling with us, weeping with us.  Darkness falls on a Bangkok sky and I know He is with me, even when I don't understand and can't explain and feel so very far from it all. 


Rejoice with those who rejoice; mourn with those who mourn. Romans 12:15

No comments:

Post a Comment