Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Back to Singapore!

Yesterday was a Thai holiday, which meant a 3-day weekend and a trip to Singapore for me.  It was a much needed reprieve from the chaos of Bangkok and day to day life.  I can escape into an organized English-speaking world for a few days, rest at my aunt and uncle's house and enjoy a few days with family.

After flying in on Friday night I spent Saturday shopping (and eating along the way) with my aunt.  We had a family dinner at a seafood restaurant where I got to eat chilli crab, slipper lobster, shrimp, chicken, steak, and probably something else I am forgetting... it was fantastic!

On Sunday, I got to hear my uncle speak at the youth service at their church and then we had a traditional chicken rice Singaporean lunch.  In the afternoon I visited Gardens by the Bay, which in addition to outdoor walking trails and gardens, has two enormous domes.  One dome is a cloud forest ecosystem and the other is full of flowers from mediteranean climates around the world (California, S. Africa, Chile, Australia, etc.)  I loved the cloud forest especially- the cool wet air made you feel healthy just walking around in it.  It was a beautiful and relaxing place to wander and think and enjoy. 

Waterfall at the entrance to the Cloud Forest dome.


Trying to capture the entire 'mountain' in the dome, unsuccessfully.

Flower Dome


Chinese New Year decorations in the garden


Singapore Flyer, from one of the paths at the gardens.



Sunday night I was able to go to a Chinese New Year hotpot dinner with my uncle's family- a very cool experience that merits (and will get) an entire blog post of its own.  I tried lots of new foods, some of them before learning what they were, which was for the best. 

On Monday I went to the aquarium, which is the world's largest oceanarium. It was so peaceful, and almost made me want to get an aquarium at my house, except that we had one growing up and I've seen how much work they are.  But it was amazing- all the different fish, corals, sharks, rays, jelly fish and other ocean creatures.  There were several places you could just sit down and stare and try to take it all in.  Then, after a late lunch (my favorite noodles and egg fried rice in Singapore) and ice cream, it was time to fly back.

This week is one of the busiest of the year at school, but at least I got to start it out rested and rejuvenated! 

1 comment:

  1. Didn't you just LOVE the aquarium? I could have stayed there all day! So glad you got to spend that time with Pong and Choon.

    ReplyDelete