Thursday, April 25, 2013

Shanghai

Shanghai was not what I expected.  I hadn't exactly heard bad things about it, but certainly not anything good, and mostly along the lines of "just another big city without character".  Boy were they wrong!  I found it walkable, pleasant, pretty, easy to navigate, and modern.  The lovely spring weather definitely helped in all that :) 

With Jessica
Perhaps the highlight for me in Shanghai was having dinner with my uncle and his wife and my little 4 year old cousin Jessica, whom I had never had a chance to meet.  She oozed personality, moving and playing and chatting her way through dinner- holding my hand all the way.  I loved it! 


Beautiful leafy street in the French Concession area where we were staying.
 Another highlight of Shanghai is also people related- Holly has friends who are living there for a year and we were able to stay with them.  Ken and Jeanie were awesome hosts and we had a great time with them.  Jeanie constantly impressed us with her Mandarin skills and knowledge of great local spots. 

Holly, Jeanie, and I in the Old Town area


Went to the beautiful Yu Gardens
  
Walking the Bund, with Pudong skyscrappers in the background
We were able to go to a few museums, get the world's best dumplings, visit People's Square, watch Shanghai Calling, and enjoy various other noodles, activities, pots of tea, and fun times.   
 
Pudong at night

Last night- a glass of wine at the bar on the 32nd floor
  After just over 2 days we boarded a bullet train bound for Beijing.  We were impressed with the rail system- a new, clean, fast (300km/hr) and punctual train that far outshone Amtrak (not that it's difficult to do so). 

Countryside from the train


No comments:

Post a Comment