Thursday, August 29, 2013

Snarky Teacher

There is a person who visits my classroom from time to time, I like to call her Snarky Teacher- along the same lines as Pheobe's Smelly Cat, only with two syllables. She usually makes only occasional appearances, mostly within the last six weeks of the school year. Not this year. I'm not entirely sure why Snarky Teacher is so present this year, but I do think it's a sign that burn out is here, or coming. I know it has everything to do with me and nothing to do with the children. Their behavior is no worse than any other year. In fact, it may even be better. It's hard to say, I'm too busy being sarcastic to notice.

On the immediate level, I have now cut out just about every after school activity that involves students. At first I was unsuccessful in trying to quit one of the activities (What's up with that? I'm usually a world class quitter!) but was finally successful at it this morning. I'm hoping this helps solve the problem, especially since I don't have a great long term burn out solution at this point. I mean sure, I could quit my job (I have more practice quitting teaching jobs than most teachers) but unfortunately I don't have another means of feeding myself and quitting seems a bit drastic when it's only the fourth week of school. I am feeling lately like I am due for a weekend in Singapore, so maybe I can find a time soon to get away down there and maybe recover a bit of my mojo. 

Until then, I'll keep encouraging Snarky Teacher to keep her mouth shut, the filter on, and the flame burning. One day at a time.

**It should be noted that most of what Snarky Teacher says is only said in her head... 

2 comments:

  1. Oh Clare, I know exactly what you mean about Snarky Teacher! She has been known to visit my classroom too... I'll be praying for you and looking forward to seeing you in a couple of months. Hope you get away for a weekend soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could give you some advise, but I've been told that drinking heavily doesn't really solve anything. Love to the snarky teacher!

    ReplyDelete