Monday, August 5, 2013

The hardest word to learn

This year I am focusing on language learning in two ways. First, I want to study Thai regularly, in a one on one setting, like I did my first year. It's a priority in my schedule and I have a lead or two on teachers who might be willing and able to help me. But I am also going to work on practicing the hardest word to learn in any language: no. 

I'm crap at saying no, and am highly susceptible to guilt trips, which means I frequently end up with too much on my plate. I run around doing things that I don't want to do or feel called to do, not leaving any time for the things that I love to do or the things that feed my soul. So this year I am working on it, no, nein, ไม่ใช่. And even when pressured, I am working on not feeling guilty, and definitely not giving in! I hope to use this newfound freedom to exercise more, cook more, and feel less exhausted so I can spend more time with people, building the relationships that make living here doable. It remains to be seen how successful I am, but so far I'm doing great at saying no, quitting the commitments I need to, and listening for God's call to determine what I do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment