Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The beat goes on...

Well, school is up and running with five days under our belt. Long enough to start to make some observations about my new kiddos and start to settle into a bit of a routine. I enjoy routine, and so far enjoy the kiddos as well. I do not enjoy the alarm clock going off at 5am, but soon I'll adjust to that too, and it won't feel so much like the middle of the night. 

Every year at ICS is different- new colleagues, shifts in friends and relationships.  I'm not a big fan of all the change, but at least it keeps me from getting bored. Sometimes I wonder if I would ever survive at a "normal" school where I work with essentially the same people year after year. Example: the entire sixth grade team has changed over since I got here, including the PE, art, Bible, Mandarin, and some music teachers- and the principal! The Thai teachers are the same, and the computer teacher. And me, of course. It keeps life interesting, even if it does mean I have to renegotiate the social landscape on an annual basis. 

Rainy season is in full swing, as witnessed by today's photo of the day. I don't leave home without an umbrella and enjoy the looming gray sky that settles over the city many evenings, but other than that rainy season doesn't really affect me much. Watch me now get totally soaked while I am out tomorrow evening and completely regret that last sentence... 

Yesterday was Mother's Day in Thailand, and also a holiday. It made me wonder though, if I had school age children, is it really a holiday if they all stay home? I heard once that when the kids are young, the perfect Mother's Day is for all the children to be OUT all day, and then when they grow up the perfect day is for them all to be there at the same time. I can definitely see that! I don't think there are many things my mom enjoys more than all her kids in one place at one time. Happy Mother's Day, Mom! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Clare! I don't mind having two Mother's Days every year.

    ReplyDelete