Sunday, November 24, 2013

My Aunt Katie

On Thursday afternoon, a light went out and earth got a little darker, a little dimmer. My Aunt Katie went home to be with Jesus. More than anyone else I know, Aunt Katie was joyful in hope, patient in affliction, and faithful in prayer. She might not have had everything that everyone else had, or been able to do everything that everyone else did, but she had Much More. 

Jesus tells us in Matthew that the Father hides things from the wise and learned and reveals them to the little children, and never was this more evidenced than in Katie's child like faith and deep wisdom.  In addition to spiritual wisdom, Aunt Katie had what I would call people wisdom, and was so good at putting others at ease. Her memory for people and stories was amazing. 

I was thinking yesterday about how Aunt Katie truly exemplified the fruits of the Spirit, and when I opened my devotional reading this morning, that exact passage in Galatians was the reading for the day. Even in the midst of her struggles, Aunt Katie was love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self control because she lived each day with her Lord. I love being at my Aunt Mo and Uncle Tom's house in large part due to Katie's peacefulness and laughter that constantly filled their home. Her giggles and joy were infectious. I am so grateful for the many years she spent supporting me and praying for me. 

Aunt Katie was loved by many and will be deeply missed by all who had the privilege of knowing her. 


1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry, Clare. Your words are a powerful reminder of the Much More. May she rest in peace and joy.

    ReplyDelete