Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Singapore Returns (or is it Return to Singapore?)

This past weekend I had the chance to make a quick visit to my Singaporean family. I arrived late Friday night, exhausted, and collapsed into my new attic room. There were lovely flowers by my bed, a birthday card, and a pair of earrings. What a welcome! 

On Saturday I made my long awaited trip to the famous botanical gardens and saw the whole thing by running 4 miles around the park. So while I didn't get to stop and smell the roses, I did get to take it all in on a beautiful morning. Observing the flowers was great, but I also really liked observing the locals. There were tons of people in the park: picnicking, jogging, walking, doing yoga, dance aerobics, tai chi, and various martial arts I didn't recognize. Great people watching. 

After an amazing lunch (topped off with my favorite egg tarts) and a bit of shopping, we went to the 
National Museum of Singapore, which I thoroughly enjoyed. A great mix of history, culture, and art. We had Lebanese food for dinner in a very lively neighborhood and then walked to a dessert bar that was To Die For. I tried to take a picture of my artisanal dessert, but the lighting wouldn't cooperate. 

On Sunday we had a fantastic brunch after church (Singapore blogs are really just food blogs, after all) and then I was pampered with a pedicure and foot massage. Ahhhhhh. A quick tour of some fun Singapore neighborhoods (including a stop at a bakery) wrapped up the afternoon before I caught my evening flight back to Bangkok and work on Monday morning. 

I think everyone needs a place to escape to in their life, a home away from home so to speak, where they can relax and be away from everything without going too far away. And I admit, I'm quite lucky. My escape spot happens to be a tropical island city state with amazing food! Can't wait to be back- every time I go I add more places to eat to the list :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment