Friday, November 8, 2013

Running. It's good for me.

Several of my good friends are running a 10k in December, and in a moment of weakness, I agreed to join them. I have never run that far in my life. I can count on one hand the number of times I ran more than 3 miles, much less 6. But I'm going to try, because this running thing is good for me. 

Running is good for being healthy and getting back in shape and releasing endorphins and all that stuff. But it has an additional benefit to me, despite the sore ankles, shins, and knees and the painful left hip. You see, I suck at running. I am slow. I don't get very far. And usually, I don't like to do things I suck at. Really, who does? But sometimes it is good for me to do things that are harder for me than everybody else, to go to the race with my friends knowing that I will be the last across the line. It's humbling, even though nobody really cares. 

It's not that running is the only thing that I'm not very good at, but it is something that I'm not good at and I do anyway. And that is good for me. Shin splints and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment