Wednesday, July 27, 2011

New teacher orientation

We started new staff orientation on Monday and it's been a busy three days.  Today we went to the brand new Rattakosin Exhibition center that basically gives the history of Bangkok.  The "field trip" went along with the cultural things we have been learning the past few days.  The Thai government has required seminars about various aspects of Thai history, language, and culture for all international teachers.  After the museum we drove through the Old Town and right past many of the sights I am looking forward to visiting. I was having a hard time picturing them in this modern city, so it was great to at least see the outside. 

After we got back today a couple of the guys came over and helped me rearrange the apartment.  We literally moved every piece of furniture!  I love the new space and think that it will work really well for me.  (Thanks, Bob, for the design!). I also had spent some time hanging out with my nine year old neighbor so that she didn't have to go to the dentist with her parents and sister (who had chipped a tooth) and that was a lot of fun. 

One of the best things about today, however, was the opportunities I had to have conversations with people that went beyond the basic get to know you stuff.  As I spend more time with people that is slowly evolving and I am so glad.  I'm ready for it, and God has been so faithful in providing that time.  We have more orientation stuff the rest of this week, including another field trip on Friday to a floating market outside the city and I can't wait!  I promise to take lots of pictures.  There weren't a lot of great pictures today since we were in a museum, but I did take a few and will attach them to the bottom here. 

A demon mask used for theatrical dance of traditional Thai literature

It gets so hot in the afternoon that the workers stop and take a nap- even the contractors working on projects at the school will do so. 

The red, white, and blue flag is the flag of Thailand.  The yellow one is the King's flag, and is almost always flown alongside the Thai flag.  Both flags are everywhere, as are pictures of the King and Queen.
And as much as I love being here and am starting to feel more and more at home in my apartment, at the school, and in the neighborhood, I also wish that I could be with my family in this time.  As we grieve the loss of my Uncle Mark Radeke, I want to be there to comfort and to mourn with them.  But to that we proclaim, "Where, O death, is your victory?  Where, O death, is your sting?" 1 Corinthians 15:55 and "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of  God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Romans 6:23

No comments:

Post a Comment