Saturday, July 23, 2011

This Little Piggy Went to Market

Firsts today:
  • Chatuchak Weekend Market, amongst the largest in the world.  We barely scratched the surface.  Hot. Crowded. More stuff than you can imagine. Some great deals.
  • Thai conversation.  Talked to a vendor, who was quite impressed I'd only been here a week (well, I told her a week, it's easier to say than 4 days). 
  • Bargaining.  Never done it before in my life.  Some places really wouldn't bargain with you, but most would.  We had some success
  • Squatty-potty with a bucket of water and a scooper to flush with.  At least the seat doesn't have to be clean! 
  • House plant purchased for myself.  Will update you later on it's status.  I've had it for a few hours and so far it is still alive. 
  • Bus ride in Thailand.  We took an open-air (read: no AC, just windows, and cheaper) from the school to the skytrain station.  On August 12th the skytrain expansion should open, which is a lot closer to us.  
  • Skytrain ride.  I loved it.  It's elevated (hence the name) like the People Mover or the L.  VERY well air conditioned.  This was the best part.  
  • Taxi ride in Thailand.  On the way back, with our stuff, we took a taxi instead of the bus after we got off the skytrain.  The driver was literally pulling away while the last 2 of us got in.  Guess it's the first time I've jumped into a moving vehicle as well!
  • Milk tea.  Had Chai Yen the other day, which is a cold tea, but this was my first milk tea, and I liked it!  
Where we stopped for lunch. An area with tables and chairs surrounded by food stalls. How those people stand over their woks all day is beyond me.

Trying to get a shot down one of the aisles.  Didn't come out great- doesn't really capture the variety or chaos.

Skytrain platform, waiting for the train to take us home.
In addition to my plant I got throw pillow covers, house shoes, a picture frame, and something to send to my mom. It was pretty hot today, so I had the pleasure of literally dripping with sweat a good part of the time.  I'm going to be doing a lot of laundry here- you can't really wear anything more than once.

No comments:

Post a Comment