Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Mission and Vision

One of the reasons that I chose to teach at ICS is that their mission and vision so closely align with my own.  As you may have heard me say, four years ago I left for Buenos Aires as a teacher who was going to do some mission work.  When I returned to the US three years later I had become a missionary who teaches.  What, you may ask, does it mean to be a missionary who teaches?

I, like ICS, view education as a tool, as the "means" as our Headmaster likes to put it.  To me, education is a gateway into lives, relationships, and hopefully to salvation and discipleship.  The "ends" then, is Jesus Christ.  It is people coming to know him and growing in their walk with him.  At ICS, like many Christian schools, we use education as the means for achieving that. 

That means that there can be no compromises academically or spiritually.  In order for your tool to be effective, you must offer a world class education that can stand on its own without the spiritual component.  The spiritual component must be equally as strong, or you are just another school with good academics. 

There are dozens of international schools in Bangkok.  Bangkok does not need another international school.  But Thailand is only 0.7% Christian.  Thailand needs Jesus.  The ICS student body is just 30% Christian, giving us a huge opportunity every day in our classrooms.  The majority of Thai Christians come from the (often poor) hill tribes in the north.  The middle and upper classes of Thailand are considered an unreached people group.  Approximately 50% of our students are Thai- they and their families are this unreached group.

I believe that God has given me talents and skills in teaching, and in particular, teaching middle school students.  He has also given me a heart that wants to serve him and see him glorified among the nations, among all peoples.  I am grateful for those of you back home who support me in this mission.  So many of you have supported me with prayer, encouragement, finances and love.  Without those things I could not do this.  You are as much as part of this mission, as much a part of reaching these kids as I am. 
  • Pray that I can be a godly example to my students in the classroom
  • Pray for my continuing adjustments to Thai culture and the culture at ICS
  • Pray for opportunities to connect with students more deeply in class and in student ministries activities so that they may come to know the Lord and grow in Him.  
  • Pray that I can build support and accountability in Bangkok that can encourage me and hold me accountable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment