Monday, August 8, 2011

Quite a 24 hours

Yesterday I got to check out a nearby dance studio by going to a stretching class with my friend Bo, one of the Thai staff who works in the Admissions office at ICS.  We had talked before about dance so she invited me to try the class with her.  I was a little apprehensive- I haven't worked out in at least 6 weeks, have lost a lot of my flexibility, and really didn't know what to expect.  It was perfect!  The level was just right for me- challenging, but not something I couldn't keep up with.  I'm sore today in that really nice way that feels like I actually used my muscles.  I can't wait to go back and hope to make it a regular part of my week.  Once I get a better picture of my budget I might be able to add a dance class in as well.  I had a bit of a taxi adventure getting there, which involved me giving my cell phone to the drivers (needed two taxis to get there when the first one took me to the wrong place) several times so that Bo could tell him where to go, but I eventually made it and managed to miss the rain which was pouring down in buckets during various parts of the ride.  

After class Bo and I got Japanese food for dinner- YUM- and it was great talking to her and getting to know her.  I've been so blessed by the Thai staff at school who have been so helpful as we all adjust to living in their country.  We tried to take a taxi home after dinner, but by then it was raining again so there were no taxis to be found so we hopped on the bus instead.  I got home around 9:30, jumped in the shower and then collapsed into bed for the best nights sleep I've had here.  I really didn't even have to make the bed this morning- the blankets had barely moved. 

Today was Open House at ICS, and though I have done open houses before, each one is different and I wasn't completely sure how to prepare for this one.  I was pretty much ready by 8 am (we have to be at work at 7!!) so fiddled and found some things to work on until 2pm when the secondary open house began.  Being a 6th grade homeroom teacher, I was swamped.  As soon as they released the parents my room was packed full of people looking at me rather expectantly.  I had materials spread out throughout the room for them to look at and take home with them, so I did a quick intro and invited them to look around.  Which is about the moment that the power went out.  Which means the AC went off...

The next hour was a blur of names and faces that I don't remember, of sweat dripping, and of trying to answer questions when I still haven't taught a day at ICS.  Overall I think it went well and hopefully the parents felt like they got a chance to meet me.  It was great to meet families from all over- from Thailand and the US of course, but also many from Taiwan, India, Korea, and other places I'm not even sure of.  Shortly after the open house the power and AC came back on so I could run a few copies and get things set up for tomorrow morning- the first day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment