Monday, November 7, 2011

Awakening: Five Days in Burma Part 1

This blog post comes with a soundtrack.  Click here to listen to it. 

I have decided to call this post "Part 1" because I know that there is no possible way I'll be able to put all my thoughts together in one sitting, nor would any of you, my dear readers, have the time and patience to read all my thoughts in one sitting.

Early Wednesday morning I flew to Yangon, Myanmar (or Rangoon, Burma, as it was known beofre the military took over and changed it) with two friends for five days.  We returned home Sunday night.  Our school was scheduled to reopen today, but that has now been delayed until this Wednesday (Nov 9th) at the earliest.  We await the decision of the MOE and the flow of the water, which continues to move and still has potential to come our direction.

Before I left for the trip, a friend of mine who has been there and has traveled SE Asia extensively told me that if I could handle Burma I could go anywhere.  It's like going back in time, he said.  And in that respect, he's right.  I was younger than most of the cars.  The internet speed and availability reminded me of the monstrous computer in my family's basement when we lived on Martha.  Some of the taxi's we rode in had upholstery and interior panels, but many did not.  AC?  Hahahajajaja555 (that's me laughing trilingually :)  I have rarely (never?!) sweat so much in my life.  There is a natural beauty to Yangon, a city of lakes and parks, despite its dusty poverty, uneven sidewalks, and lack of infrastructure.  There is a spirit that somehow, despite years of living under a military junta, life goes on.  What I want to share with you are some glimpses into things I saw or did or experienced in those days, and some reflections on what it all means, on how you look into the face of a child who lives without hope, knowing that God alone is able.

In our hearts Lord
In this nation
Awakening
Hello. Money. 
On Wednesday, late afternoon, we were walking towards the downtown area from the biggest Pagoda/temple in the city when I was spotted and approached by a young girl.  She knew only two words in English: hello and money, but these she repeated to me, over and over.  She followed us for blocks, right there at my elbow, hand reaching out, palm up.  Hello.  Money.  We walked on, but she persisted, and we even talked amongst ourselves- what do you do?  Her cries reach our ears and our hearts, yet everything you read about such situations says not to give in this way, that it in fact does more harm than good.  We eventually sat down at a sidewalk table to an Indian restaurant that looked (and was) amazing.  She stood among the parked cars next to our table.  Watching.  Even under the glare of the restaurant owner.  When bread arrived at our table, my friend wrapped it in a napkin and walked it over to her.  A half smile lit her face as she began to eat it, but before you could say 'chicken curry' an entire family of 6-8 people had appeared.  Awake my soul.

Me enjoying some chicken curry on naan and some strong but delicious Burmese tea
Lilly
After we arrived on Wednesday, we headed out to see the big golden Pagoda in the middle of town.  On the way we stopped by a noddle stand for lunch, where my regimin of pepto with every meal started (miraculously, none of us got sick, and we kind of ate wherever).  We walked up all the steps to the top of the Pagoda, but opted not to pay to go into the temple itself.  Instead, we sat on the cool shady steps in front of it to pray.  No sooner had we gotten through the "Dear Heavenly Father," when a woman named Lilly who was a guide at the temple sat down to ask us why we weren't going in.  We started talking to her about her job, family, life, beliefs, and about Jesus.  While one of us did most of the talking, the other two prayed and listened- what an amazing divine appointment, just hours after arriving in the country!  We seemed to attract a lot of attention, just sitting there talking, and I was somewhat amazed that no one else came and sat with us.  Many of them certainly looked like there were about it!  After chatting, we went back to praying, including this woman and her family in our prayers.  
Holy Spirit
We Desire
Awakening


First meal in Burma!
With Lilly


Moments
We witnessed lots of "moments" in the park along the lake near our hotel.  Let me explain.  This park- the grassy bits surrounding the lake and the wooden walkways connecting everything- was covered in couples, sitting together, sometimes making out, and often with an umbrella.  For me, it was a bit like Buenos Aires, only maybe less intense.  But being Asia, it was hilarious.  We literally couldn't find anywhere to sit where we didn't feel like we'd be interrupting.  We spent lots of time in the park, walking, talking, sitting, reading, praying and journaling over the course of our days, and did eventually figure out how to just plop down wherever.  I did my best to get a picture of the scene, without being too intrusive, so you may need to click on the picture to blow it up to see the umbrellas and couples scattered across the grass. 

Moments beside Kandawgyi Lake
more later,
love,
Clare

No comments:

Post a Comment