Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Koh Mak

In Thai, the word "koh" means island- last week I had a chance to spend 4 days on "mak island" with Juan and Claudia.  I had never been to the tropics before, not a proper tropical beach, and it was really hard for me to believe that was I was seeing was real, not a postcard or picture.  Koh Mak is a small island in the Gulf of Thailand- it's about 4.5 hours by van and then another 45min by speed boat to get there. It's right next to a big popular island named Koh Chang.  I'm sure Koh Chang is great, but we chose Koh Mak for it's small size and relatively small population.  There were other people on the island to be sure, but we saw very few other people on the beach.  Awesome. 

So, we spent 4 days taking naps and walks on the beach, exploring the tiny shops and restaurants nearby, snorkeling, reading, talking, and enjoying long meals.  It was a great way to escape everything here.  Juan and Claudia actually even stayed a few extra days because of the chaos and panic here in Bangkok.  I'll upload as many of the pictures from the trip as I can possibly stand- my one complaint about blogger is that uploading pics is a slow and arduous task. 
Noodle stand on the pier where we got lunch while waiting for our boat to the island.

View from the porch of my bungalow


The light in the evening was awesome- this doesn't do it justice.

View from our breakfast table

I mean, seriously, is this real life?

We did actually see a coconut fall and were quite glad not to be underneath it!

The adorable pant-less girl at the little shop who was enamored with my camera

Juan and Claudia at lunch


bliss.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, WHY couldn't I have been there with you? I was just missing you three, reminiscing about San Antonio de Areco specifically, and this does make it a bit worse, I must say. But I'm so glad you got to enjoy it, and I can picture just how delightful your company was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo! We missed you! It was delightful, but would have been greatly enhanced by your presence!

    ReplyDelete