Sunday, November 13, 2011

Every year it happens: we get older

I wonder who first came up with the idea of birthdays, not of date-of-birth, but of birthdays, as a celebration.  As a child, we celebrate getting older.  As an adult, we emm, eat cake and try not to think about the number.  I have always loved birthdays- my own or anyone else's.  And I really enjoyed the fact that in Argentina people tend to plan their own birthday. I, of course, love this concept because it means that come my birthday, I am the one in control of the day :)  Not that I love control or anything, but I'm just sayin.  This year, I wanted to have dinner with some friends, but I wanted to do something else with it- I just wasn't sure what.  But while my friend and I were killing time downtown waiting for my visa to Myanmar to process, we stumbled upon a new ice rink at a mall in Bangkok and after thoroughly checking it out (I even inspected some rental skates) we decided that I would have a skating birthday party :)  I wasn't sure my friends would go for the idea, and even less sure of how I would feel in rental skates, but we went ahead with it. 

And boy was it fun!  The rentals, other than being duller than a dumb joke you've heard five times, were just fine and I didn't feel ready to topple over every 5 seconds (though I do look forward to returning some time with my own skates, once I have suitcase space to get them here from MI).  We had a great time zipping around the rink and drinking hot chocolate before heading to a new restaurant for dinner.  A very fun and girly place.  Afterwards, a couple people came over to celebrate with Nieto Senetiner (my favorite Argentine bodega, wine courtesy of Juan's visit) and eat cake.  By the time the girls left at midnight I dropped happily off into bed. 





I should mention that my entire weekend was actually pretty awesome.  Friday night was a night of worship and prayer at my friend's church.  Saturday morning I got to walk to the morning market with one of my dear friends, who wasn't able to make it to the festivities later in the day. Then there was the obvious fun documented above.  Then Sunday morning, bright and early before church, I met my friends for tea and biscuits while we watched a slide show we made of our trip to Burma.  So great to reminisce over those days and again join together in prayer for the nation and all those we met there.  Then, got to visit a Thai church and had lunch afterward with my new friend who is visiting churches with me (we met at a different church several weeks ago).  We had a great time getting to know each other over lunch and laughing and sharing stories.  And now, I can rest and catch my breath in my quiet apartment, certain to go to bed early tonight as I have gotten no sleep this weekend :) 

It's been amazing to see how God has blessed me this weekend- both in the tangible way he has provided amazing friends for me here in Bangkok, but also as I reflect back on the amazing ways I've spent the last few birthdays- different countries, different people, but always surround by those I love, those who are my support and encouragement.  God is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment