Saturday, February 4, 2012

Cooking Dinner

Sometimes you don't realize the things you miss until you get to experience them - and then you think, oh man, I really miss this!  One of my favorite activities in the States is hanging out and cooking dinner with my friends (generally while their kids run in circles around us, which just makes it that much more entertaining for me) but it's not something that's a regular part of life here.  Yesterday my friend had invited me to come over and cook dinner together, and it was awesome.  We made salmon with fresh salsa and a great veggies and cous-cous salad, chatting and sipping wine while we worked.  Swiss chocolate and fresh raspberries and blackberries topped off the meal as we retired to laugh and talk in the living room. 

It seems that it's much less common here to hang out with friends in your home, and it's something I definitely miss.  I mean, going out for dinner or tea or whatever is great, but there is something about being able to sit and relax and just be together in a home that fosters greater friendship and conversation.  It is really too bad that I don't/can't cook more, but I do love having friends here for tea.  I am hoping that having people over is something I will do more once I move. I certainly love having people in my apartment now, but I do wonder how many of them are keen on hanging out in one of the on-campus apartments. 

But anyway, yesterday was lovely and especially nice as it was the first Friday in a while that I've had the energy to stay up past 8pm- oh the life of a teacher!

No comments:

Post a Comment