Saturday, February 11, 2012

Tea and treats in toasty temps

First, my apologies for forgetting to take my camera anywhere for about a month now... I'll get back on that. 

Second, I love living in the tropics.  It's hot, yes. I get sweatier than I would like at time, yes. But with cascades of sunshine most days of the year (which I like to look at, but not necessarily stand in) and no need for sweaters or boots or long underwear or mittens or any of the rest of that stuff, I cannot complain.  I love running errands in flip flops year round.  I love the open air hallways of our school and my apartment building.  I love green plants growing outside in February.  Maybe in a few years I could start missing Michigan's winters, but not right now.  Probably the only thing I miss about the cold is cute jackets, which you can't even wear in the depth of winter anyway because the cutest ones are never warm enough for the worst of it.  I certainly hope that spring comes early for all of you- right as your weather starts warming up, ours will go from hot to hottest and maybe then I'll want to trade places with you :)

Today I am going to a tea room downtown with a friend who grew up in London.  Last weekend we were both craving a proper cup of tea, so I was very excited to hear about this tea room.  Of all my experiences from Scotland, tea has had one of the bigger impacts on my life (if you discount the fact that Scotland was actually a precursor to my moving abroad to teach).  It wasn't too hard to get tea with milk in Argentina, and it's easier here than in the US (I just about gag every time they bring me a Lipton bag, though more and more places are starting to carry good tea and understand my request for milk) but it's still not real common here to be able to get it done right. 

Tomorrow is my last Sunday of English teaching before I have a weekend off and then switch (I think!) back to Saturdays.  It will be so nice to be able to go to church again- I miss it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment