Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Hot Hot Hot

Summer is coming to Bangkok!  I've been warned repeatedly that March and April (especially April) are the hottest months here, unbearably so.  Two weekends ago was coolish and breezy, but other than that it's been getting increasingly hotter lately, and it appears there is more to come.  The Thai schools are about to take their summer break, but here, I actually like working through the summer.  If it's ridiculously hot, I'd rather be in my classroom, with its two big AC units (that the school pays to run) than out in the heat or at home where I pay for AC.  It's too hot to vacation comfortably, even at the beach.  Even now it's getting to the point where a walk of just a few blocks will leave you dripping and my hair flies into a ponytail if I am out of doors for more than a few minutes.  Really makes me wonder why the Thai schools are on break during the lousiest weather of the year! 

Such a contrast to Michigan where we break during the summer because it's the one time of year we actually can enjoy the great outdoors (with all due respect to my Uncle Bill and others who are only happy when there is snow on the ground, Michigan is indeed best in summertime).  I plan to live the air conditioned life for the next two months, taking taxis instead of open air busses and living with higher than usual electric bills while I run the AC more often than not.  But to live in the tropics and enjoy the sunshine without the sweat, it's worth every sa-tang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment