Monday, February 13, 2012

Steel Orchid: Off to the movies!

I headed out after school today well prepared.  I had changed into jeans, grabbed a warm sweatshirt, put a pair of socks in my purse, and I was off: to the movies.  I had heard that the theaters here were cold, and it did not disappoint.  By the end of the movie, my nose was numb.  If I ever start missing the chill of Michigan winter I can save myself the airfare and go to a theater.  The theaters here are very nice, and if you want to pay more, there are even luxury recliners you can sit in.  One thing that was different here was that you select your seat when you buy your ticket. At first I was a bit surprised and not sure what she was asking me.  But it really makes sense.  Seats were assigned in the order that the tickets were purchased, and you could sit with your group if you came with a lot of people. With only about 8 of us in the theater today, that wasn't an issue, but I can see how it could be and assigned seats would be a nice feature.  Before every movie in Thailand, between the previews and the actual film, the king's anthem is played, which everyone stands for.  I really liked the pictures of the king's life that they showed during the anthem and the people's love for their king was evident- it gave me chills (and yes, it was the song and pictures, not the AC).  At long last I settled into my seat, leaned back, and the show began.

Just what movie had enticed me to the theater on a Monday afternoon?  The Lady, the biographic film about Aung San Suu Kyi.  It's rare that I go see a movie (about once a year) and is almost always for a specific movie, and not just to see something.  The Lady did not disappoint.  Even though I have been reading a lot about her since my trip in November, I still knew very little about her life before her house arrest. I knew she was the leader for democracy in Burma, but I didn't know why.  The movie, like Hotel Rwanda last week, brought me to tears on several occasions, but despite the loss and grief, it also inspires hope. 

One thing that really struck me was the depth of the sacrifice that she and her family had to make on behalf of so many Burmese people.  There were many periods of painful separation from her husband and sons.  It reminded me about several verses from the Bible, about leaving behind family and friends to follow Jesus.  It reminded me that missionaries throughout the world go through painful separation from family and friends on behalf of many people in many nations.  And, it reminded me that many times the struggle is even greater for those who are left behind.

So I definitely walked out of the movie wanting to hug my family and hold them a little closer from this side of the world.  But I also walked out with a spirit in me to keep on keeping on.  To keep on doing what God has called me to do- teaching my students in both mathematics and the love and knowledge of God, to keep on empowering at risk children by teaching them English, to keep on working for justice in this world in whatever small ways that we can- a voice for the voiceless.  Wherever you are today, I encourage you to continue to fight for true freedom and justice for those around you.  As my dear friend likes to quote, we can not do everything, but we can each do something. And maybe make one of those somethings going out and watching The Lady.  It's a pretty good place to be inspired.

No comments:

Post a Comment