Saturday, April 7, 2012

The end of House Hunters Int'l Bangkok

Good news! I have found a new apartment, and a great deal at that.  On Monday morning I got an email about several apartments available to rent, one of which was in the complex that is my first choice.  The price was quite low, so I wondered what was wrong with it, but went to see it Monday evening.  To my great surprise, the apartment was quite nice.  It's the same 2 bedroom corner unit that I've looked at several times in this complex but at last I found one that was in good shape but not too expensive.

The apartment has a couple of bonus features, namely a washing machine and a water purifier, as well as 3 air con units and a new TV (Tigers on the big screen!).  It has two balconies and a decent view of a field and the city beyond, instead of a view of the apartment complex or my school, both of which are very common here.  At about 600 square feet it's a tight fit for 2 bedrooms and one bath, but it works.  The only problem was the kitchen.

It reminded me of one of my favorite old movies, an early 90's British comedy called Jack and Sarah which I quote from all the time but no one ever gets.  There's a scene where Sarah is looking at rooms to rent and they are looking at this one dumpy flat, the only thing she can afford, and Jack looks around the room and says, "I thought you said it had a kitchen."  The guy whips back a sheet hung on a wire across the back of the room revealing a small stove.  "Well," Sarah says, "I wasn't planning on having any large dinner parties."  Thankfully, I don't either. 


Thais have a bit of a different definition of kitchen.  If you've got a bit of counter and a small fridge, that's a kitchen.  This kitchen has a counter with cupboards below, a full size fridge (I'd actually prefer a smaller one, space-wise, but that's okay) and two burners, like a big hot plate.  What it lacks is a sink. When I inquired about the sink, they showed that it does indeed have one- on the balcony.  Luckily, the landlady was willing to install one in the kitchen.  I mean, I may not be much of a chef, but I can't really see myself filling the tea kettle on the balcony in the morning in my pajamas.  She actually also going to put in some cupboards above the sink and a bar from which I can hang utensils and things.  I'll probably move the last weekend of April and the kitchen stuff will be installed May 4th. 

The whole thing is odd to explain and I'm just going to have to take pictures once I move in at the end of the April.  If we keep the bit of counter she already has and add a sink unit, there is no room for the fridge. So essentially it will be in the living room, though they are really just one room.  It's going to be a bit odd, having the new bits be different from the existing counter piece she has, but ah well.

The important thing is that I have a good apartment at a good price with a guest room.  I'm already dreaming and picturing what it will all be like once I get moved in and have things the way I want them.  Open for visitors shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment