Saturday, April 28, 2012

Moved In


I am writing this post from my new couch (that my friend and I assembled today) in my new apartment.  I’m typing here, though I’ll have to go back to the old place later to paste it into blogger and post it.  No internet here yet, which will probably be the most trying bit of the first week here (perhaps I should mentally prepare myself for a two week process…).  But this post is not about problems, not about struggles or overcoming.  This post is about God’s awesome provision.  

Two weeks ago I had my personal retreat at the Tree House, the main theme of which was “Do not worry.  Seek the One Thing and God will take care of the many things.”  Of course, it’s one thing to do that when you are in a Tree House. It’s quite another when you’re in the thick of moving.
One evening this past week I had a little moment of panic.  I was definitely freaking out about all the things I needed to do and buy for this move, and was worrying about the money, worrying about the time and energy, worrying about doing all these things on my own.  After a short time of panic, I finally wised up and lay down and prayed and handed it all over to God.  All the money, all the details, all the help I needed and didn’t want to ask for.  

A friend had already offered to bring the pick-up truck from her ministry and help me take the stuff in that so I didn’t have to walk or get a taxi to take it.  And then, without my asking, another friend just pulls out her calendar and asks, when are you moving?  I’ll come help.  Wow!  One of the things that had made me panic was realizing there are things that houses just come with in the States, that they don’t here, that I need to buy- in particular, a stove top or hot plate type item.  And so I was all wondering where I buy one or what kind to get or how much they cost… The next day, I was telling a friend about how I had completely forgotten about that bit when she tells me that she has an extra hot plate that she doesn’t use and would I like it?  Practically brand new.  And she won’t take any money for it, though she is going to let me take her for a massage on Monday. 

And the help just kept pouring in.  I needed a ride home from Ikea Friday evening to pick up the couch I wanted, so I asked two people at work that had vans/trucks, hoping one would be free. They both were, and were both willing to help!  And then M-Day arrived on Saturday morning and I get a text from another friend.  What time was a I moving my stuff, and did I want any help?  Yes, please!  And to put the icing on the cake, as my friend came with the pick-up truck, she had three teenage guys with her to help!  Needless to say, it then took less than an hour for us to get everything down the four flights of stairs, into the truck, driven to the complex next door, and hauled up the elevator to the 6th floor.  

God is just so amazing in how he has provided for the many things this week.  There are more things to buy tomorrow, and unpacking to do, but he made “the worst of it” incredibly easy and fast and in many ways, even fun since I was with friends.  And in terms of unpacking, there’s actually a lot I can’t do right now. The new kitchen stuff is being installed next Friday, so I am going to wait until after that to unpack the kitchen stuff, and pretty much all I have are my clothes, a few books, and the kitchen stuff (okay okay, and my plants and lamps and rugs and pictures…). 
But today was definitely an illustration for me of the body of Christ at its best.  My family, who would normally help me in a situation like this, is far away.  But here in Bangna, God has provided brothers and sisters in Christ who have come alongside me and helped me. Where I had need, He provided through them.  A beautiful picture indeed. 

1 comment:

  1. So encouraging! That reminder of how God just abundantly provides is one I always need.

    ReplyDelete