Monday, July 15, 2013

More or Less

While Up North this summer I wandered into a bookstore and stumbled into a book titled More or Less, which deals with the question, What is enough? And, how much is enough? It was a book about generosity and generous living, about what we do with the bit we have that is more than enough, the excess. It reminded me a lot of a verse I read earlier this summer that really struck me: The world and all its wanting, wanting, wanting is on the way out- but whoever does what God wants is set for eternity (1 John 2:17).

One advantage of living overseas, that I have stated before, is that each summer I have the chance to completely step away from my regular life, my day to day life, which gives me a unique perspective and chance to evaluate how I live. This book gave me lots of think about in that regard, without being judgmental or condescending. It has caused me to look again at the words need and want and how I confuse them in my life. It has caused me to look at my wardrobe and wonder just how many shirts and shoes a person can actually wear. It has caused me to look at how I spend my time, and who I am spending it on- myself or others. 

Our More, our Excess, does not always come in physical material ways. It also comes in time or connections or opportunities. And while I have certainly thought before about how I can be generous with my time, I had never before considered how I can be generous with my connections or opportunities.  I have long craved a simpler life (I am sure in no part because I somehow think it will also be less stressful) and this book encouraged me to do so in ways that would not just be for the goal of simplicity, but generosity.  

And it's not all about downsizing, which I like. For example, it might be a 'simpler life' if I moved back into my studio apartment and didn't keep a guest room (where in addition to guests I also store a lot of stuff). But if I moved, I would also lose a lot of opportunities for generosity and hospitality. It's not about how big your house is, it's about what you do with the space you have. 

Anyway, it's a good book and quick read and I highly recommend it. I am excited to get back into life and clean out my closet and make dinner for people and live more intentionally in many areas. 

No comments:

Post a Comment