Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Resettling

I've been back in Bangkok for about eight days now- five days of freedom and then back at work for the last three. It's always an adjustment coming back, and the first week is the worst of it. When you live in another country, you always keep your big toe back at home- a small connection and a vague of awareness of what is going on. But that first week of transition it's not a big toe, it's your whole foot still in that world, and it takes time to pick up the rhythm of the new place again.

But the last few days have been good in several ways. First, I've been able to connect with friends in real and meaningful ways that remind me that even if my family is far away I do have friends and people here who love, care, listen, share, laugh, and invest. Second, I get a chance to remember why I am here and why I believe in the mission and vision and philosophy if my school. We are able to pray as a staff for our school, our students, and the year ahead. I get to remember that this thing I do, teaching, I love it for all it sucks out of me, and I'm good at it. 

There are still things to figure out of course, and I have my goals and things I want to work on this semester, but it's a good start and a good place to be. Now if someone could just get this Tigers game online to stop pausing and freezing and restarting we'd be all set! 


No comments:

Post a Comment