Sunday, June 8, 2014

Home on the range: initial impressions in America

You would think after so many years and trips back to the US that these sorts of things wouldn't surprise me anymore, but I still get a good chuckle, every time. 

- It's cold at night. I'm not used to the temperature dropping much overnight or thinking to bring warmer clothes if I will be out in the evening. Last night, I ended up in my dress and cardigan plus my sister-in-law's pants, socks, and jacket. With a cup of tea. I was quite a picture. 

- Meijer. I usually try to avoid big box stores for a few days, but I wound up at Meijer twice within the first day and a half. I was completely overwhelmed by the juice aisle. Not the juice section or shelf or whatever, but an entire massive aisle of juice and juice-like beverages. Crazy. 

- Americans. This country is full of em. Never ceases to amaze me. 

- Green. And not just in the countryside. But green and space and large patches of grass. Everywhere. 

- Running into a friend from high school in the produce section at Meijer. Since I don't come "home" to my hometown, I don't really expect that. It was so out of context that I was blanking out on her name for half the conversation, but definitely even weirder for her- at least I knew that I was in the country! 

- Food. So much of it. So delicious. 

- Being outside. In Bangkok, due to many factors like space, heat, pollution, noise, etc. people rarely have outdoor entertaining spaces, but yesterday I got to spend most of the day enjoying beautiful decks and backyards at my aunt and uncle's house, and then at my brother and sister-in-laws. We even had a bonfire after dinner! 

No comments:

Post a Comment