Friday, December 9, 2011

Nak Suu Rugby Academy

Yep, you read that right. This post is about a rugby academy.  This is where I was last Saturday, and where I'll be most Saturday's next semester.  But I will not be there teaching rugby :)

Nak Suu is a ministry of Youth With A Mission (YWAM) in Thailand.  It is a rugby program for kids from children's homes and slum communities in Bangkok.  The program includes learning to play rugby and being a part of a team, but it also includes life skills, evangelism, lunch, and English class- that's where I come in.  Next semester I'll be teaching the English lessons.  On Saturday I went to check things out and get a better idea of what I would have to work with as  I plan my lessons.

I had an awesome time!  Around 70 kids attended last week and after getting everyone signed in and reviewing the rules, they were split into two groups based on age.  The younger kids went off to the rugby field (with people who, you know, can teach rugby) while the older kids stayed for their English lesson and then a project about the fruits of the spirit.  I had a great time interacting with the kids. One thing that was awesome was that I got to use my Thai!  There was a visiting YWAM mission team there, who didn't know any Thai, so it made me feel quite helpful in that regard.  The kids mostly understood me and I mostly understood them, when they were talking to me.  Their chit-chat?  Not yet :)  After an hour, the groups switched and we redid the lessons with the younger kids.  After that they were served lunch and then headed home.

To be honest, I was pretty hesitant to make this commitment.  When I was looking for somewhere to volunteer with local kids a few months back, I was thinking of roughly once per month.  What I found was a Clare-shaped hole at Nak Suu that needed someone around 3 times a month.  But I spent time praying about it and have really felt called to bring this particular gift that God has given me (teaching) to these particular kids.  All of last year in the States God and I were dealing with this issue of not just giving, but giving sacrificially.  I read so many books and saw so many situations where people were called to give beyond the norm, and it inspired me.  So when I went to pray about this opportunity, what God said was, Clare, this is your chance to give, not just out of your abundance, but to give sacrificially. Yes, it will cut into your sleep. And your social life. Yes, there will be weeks you'd rather do something else.  But for this time and season, this is where I want you.

After visiting last Saturday, I am very excited to start.  I'm also excited to pick up some basic ESL materials in the States, at least to get some fun ideas.  I have not been able to get the Nak Suu website to work, but this is the Ark International page on the YWAM site, and Nak Suu is a part of Ark.  There is also an article about a tournament that Nak Suu was able to enter.

Please pray for me as I take on this added responsibility. Pray for physical strength and energy on Saturdays, for quick progress in Thai so that I can communicate more with the kids, and for wisdom as I plan what and how to teach them.  Please also prayerfully consider donating to their program through the YWAM site. I'll try to talk to the director soon to see if there is another website that will work better as well.  Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment