Monday, May 21, 2012

Finding My Niche

As my first year as ICS draws to a close (8.5 days left!),  I'm spending lots of time with friends before we go our separate ways for the months of June and July.  I have truly awesome friends here, but I don't really have a niche exactly, and that's okay.  It's okay because it's only been 10 months, and if I'd completely found my "spot" in 10 months that would probably mean that everyone here was exactly like me, which they are not. And that it a good thing. What a boring world it would be if everyone were just like me. I have friends who are culturally similar to me, but demographically different.  And friends who are demographically similar but culturally different.  And then there are the friends who are just plain different :) And being friends with many different kinds of people does make it harder, especially when I am a J (read: planner) and they are a P (read: not a planner) or when their lifestyle is vastly different than mine due to their kids or their job or their culture.  So as much as I would really like to know how life is going to look day by day and week by week, I don't. And that makes me a bit unsettled. 

But I was reminded today that it's okay to take a while to settle in and find that niche.  None of us are really completely at home here on earth anyway.  We all have the restless flutters inside us that whisper I am made for more than this.  We are all strangers and aliens in the land, even if we live in the nation of our birth.  God did not create us for eternity in this world.  We have eternal yearnings because we are eternal beings.  So when we feel like we don't quite fit in the world around us, it's because, well, we don't fit in the world around us.  The world is temporary and we are eternal.  The world is ruled by the Father of Lies and we were created by the Father of Truth and Life.

I will, eventually, find my niche here.  But even then, I hope that I don't become so comfortable that I forget what I was really created for.  

No comments:

Post a Comment