Monday, May 28, 2012

The Sewing Lady

This is not an uncommon sight in Bangkok, but it is one that has perplexed me since I got here. I pass this woman frequently when I get off the sky train downtown.  Her sewing machine is set up on the side of a busy road, and she's always busy working when I walk by.  What I can't tell is what she does exactly.  Does she make clothes, or simply repair and tailor them?  If she makes them, where does she sell them? If she's repairing and tailoring, where do her customers come from? I've certainly never seen someone stop by and drop things off or pick them up or have them fitted :)  She has a huge bag of fabric or clothes next to her.  If she's making the clothes to sell elsewhere, why does she "set up shop" here?  Are there any perks to putting her machine on the side of the road?  It odd for me to see her there- a very "developing world" sight on the side of one of the more modern streets in Bangkok. 

No comments:

Post a Comment