Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Picture a day September 3

Thai tutoring started up again a few weeks ago and this year, in addition to listening and speaking, I am working on my reading and writing as well. Today's picture comes from my Thai book. Thai has 44 consonants and 32 vowels, most of which I managed to memorize during my break periods during my last months of substitute teaching in Michigan before moving here. I don't know the obscure ones, but mai pen rai. The problem is I still can't read or write properly because of the tone rules. Thai is tonal and the tone of the word depends on the class of the consonant (there are three classes), the vowel, the final sound of the syllable, and the tone mark, if one is used. Confused yet? I am :)  My first task is to learn the classes of the consonants, as I was too overwhelmed to learn them with the consonant sounds. Then... I can start tackling the rules that are on this chart. Or, I could give up and quit, which is always a distinct possibility! 

No comments:

Post a Comment